Exhibits

The Slave Pen

Sponsor: The Otto M. Budig Family Foundation

The Slave Pen, built in the early 1800's, was recovered from a farm in Mason County, Kentucky, less than 60 miles from the Freedom Center. The structure was used as a holding pen by Kentucky slave trader, Capt. John W. Anderson, to temporarily keep enslaved people being moved farther south for sale. The slave pen played an integral role in the greater story of the internal slave trade in America.