The program following the breakfast will be a celebration of courageous individuals, past and present, and honor the staff, docents and volunteers who have served the center for 10 years. In addition to reflections from past honorees, the program will feature performances from the Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church of Glendale, Ohio and The Filo Quartet of Walnut Hills High School. Courtis Fuller of WLWT-TV will preside as master of ceremonies with a keynote speech from Freedom Center president, Clarence G. Newsome, Ph.D. Below is a full list of events and activities happening in and around the Freedom Center on Jan. 19.
FREE Programming at the Freedom Center MLK Day, Jan. 19
- Family-friendly, hands on activities
- Dramatic readings
- First- person interpretations
- admission to permanent and temporary exhibitions, including Power of the Vote, which explores and chronicles the history of voting rights in America from the Reconstruction Era to the Civil Rights Movement to present day
Public Programming at the Freedom Center
- 2015 King Legacy Awards Breakfast at 8 a.m. in the Grand Hall, followed by programming and performances in the Harriet Tubman Theater at 9 a.m. Tickets are $35. Call 513-333-7706 for ticket information
- Freedom Center opens FREE to the public, open until 5 p.m.
- Martin Luther King Day March, beginning at 10:30 a.m. at the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center
Prior to the Martin Luther King, Jr. day events on the 19th, National Underground Railroad Freedom Center president, Clarence G. Newsome, Ph.D. will address the students of the University of Cincinnati, Tuesday, Jan. 13 in the TUC Great Hall beginning at 12 noon. In addition to Newsome's keynote speech, information will be provided to attendees detailing his theme, which presents various chronological concepts of freedom, from the perspective of "time" until the present thought, of what freedom should look like in our future society: "Freedom Yesterday, Freedom Today, and Freedom Forever." For more information on this event, contact MLK coordinator Eric Watford.
Want the latest on upcoming special exhibitions, events and programs? Follow us on Twitter and Instagram, @FreedomCenter and on Facebook, for more historical posts and images.
Assia Johnson, Public Relations and Social Media Coordinator