Take Action: Become a Modern-Day Abolitionist!
It's simple and anyone can do it!
- Become a member of an anti-slavery organization like the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center
- Educate yourself about contemporary slavery/human trafficking
- Educate family, friends, neighbors, community organizations, churches, schools, local leader, and etc.
- Organize community events to address contemporary slavery (e.g. freedom walks, candlelight vigils, etc.)
- Join End Slavery Cincinnati, a Rescue and Restore Coalition addressing contemporary slavery/human trafficking in Cincinnati, Ohio. Email for more information.
- Join Central Ohio Rescue and Restore, a Rescue and Restore Coalition addressing contemporary slavery/human trafficking cased in Columbus, Ohio. Email for more information.
- Create public awareness and letter writing campaigns in your communities for local media to highlight the issue
- Fundraise for anti-slavery organizations that are combating contemporary slavery worldwide through public awareness and victim assistance
- Free the Slaves
- Polaris Project
- International Justice Mission
- Child Voice International
- Free the Children
- Volunteer your time, intern, and/or donate your skills to assist anti-slavery organizations (e.g. website assistance, book keeping, etc.)
- Be a conscious shopper and purchase fair trade and slave-labor-free products from socially responsible businesses. Visit TransFairUSA for more information)
- Research your local community for areas likely to have victims
- Contact community leaders (e.g. mayor, police chief, councilmen, etc.) and ask if they have policies and procedures in place to assist victims who are identified. If there are none, start a community campaign to request them.
- Contact state legislators to support or introduce state-level anti-slavery legislation to supplement federal laws against contemporary slavery/human trafficking
- Support Ohio legislation combating contemporary slavery/human trafficking:
- SB23 (Goodman), SB205 (Fedor), HB15 (Chandler)
Cincinnati Local Fair Trade Shops:
- Ten Thousand Villages
- Wild Oats Natural Marketplace
- Clifton Natural Foods
- Pipkins Fruit & Vegetable Market
- Kaffee Klatsch
- Rohs Street Café
- Lookout Joe
- Coffee Emporium
- Kaldi's Coffee House
- Pleasant Perk
- Sitwell's Coffee House
Change requires action! Be creative and take action!